Saturday 12 May 2012

CEG ATTIKPA

Have been horribly bad, and this makes 11 days without writing - so sorry everyone!! Time literally has wings here, and it uses them frequently...

Since I last wrote a million and one things have happened, but most of them are boring and normal, so the most important are that I left CEG ATTIKPA :( and we carried out a 'humanitarian project' at school (ATTIKPA). What this last means basically is that we bought blackboard paint, repainted the blackboards, and bought and distributed school books to the children. The story is; there were two Canadian girls here and they didn't often come to meetings, but on Independence Day night, they came to Club 54 with us to have a drink and as we were going to the non-existent fireworks, one of them (Lisa) realised she'd left her moto helmet in the Club. She wasn't sure of the way back so I offered to go with her; on the way we were talking about our projects and she mentioned that she'd been looking for a school to help, as she'd had donations from home which were intended for a school, so she asked me what the problems were and how she could use the money. Of course, there are a million and one problems here, plus a few more so we had plenty to talk about! And it ended up that very kindly, she chose to help ATTIKPA! Unfortunately, this was one week before she left Togo. So we spent the next week running round and organising, which is a more difficult task than usual here... And finally, on Saturday 5th May, the PA volunteers painted all 28 blackboards of CEG ATTIKPA. And with such a great result! Before, blackboards were in a pretty dire state to say the least, and now they're great! The teachers were majorly pleased, one said it makes him want to write now, and that worked out really well indeed. Then the school books. Lisa had bought 600 because she wanted to just buy as many as possible, so we split them up between the 14 classes to make 43 per class, with 42 for the two 3és who are slightly smaller. We decided it should be done on merit, and I really wanted us to give out books to the top 10, maybe 20 in each class, for the two terms just gone (they class all the students of every class at the end of each term so all the information is already there somewhere, so wasn't providing extra work for anyone by saying that!!) and, only if they'd improved. However, it didn't quite turn out like that, and on Wednesday I spent my morning running round giving out all 43 books to each class, child by child. I guess lots have gained from it, but now there's no more incentive to work... Things can be tricky to organise when it involves donations and giving here at times, but am cooking up another plan for before I leave in August... Will keep you posted. And feel free to donate at any point if anyone so feels the need!! Honestly, a worthier cause doesn't come around every day.

And then, yesterday (Friday 11th, coincidentally Bob Marley Day, which was celebrated with gusto everywhere here!) I finished my Project at ATTIKPA. Mixed emotions really; I live literally opposite the school and I'm still here in Togo so in a way I'm not leaving, and I'm totally free to hop over any time I want. But, it's not going to be every day. And I will miss the children: as rowdy and undisciplined and maddening as they can be, they're lovely. I'm continuing my Thursday afternoons, so I'll continue to see that group regularly, and most of the children live in the quartier so I see them around often, but it's not quite the same, and I know I won't see all of them. Equally though, I'm glad to be changing, to try something different, something new which hopefully I'll enjoy too. As a leaving present, the teachers gave me a proper African trouser complet, in red Batik material which is SO cool and SO comfy, if a little hot at midday!! Wore it out last night, though not sure I'd have the courage to wear it all at once in England, but can definitely wear it half and half as well. Brilliant!! One of the teachers also gave me a pair of the flipflops they make here, made by her little sister, and a group of 4é girls also gave me a pair which are really pretty. Going out for dinner with Mama tonight, so donning the complet plus Togo flipflops to go and eat probably pâte - native.




Two more exciting things, went to the most amazing concert last night - a group from Cameroon, just spectacular is really the only way to describe it! And... I got my hair braided...!!! I will try and put photos up for you, but as you've now realised, that means July at the earliest... The joys of a third world country's internet! Also had a few more afternoon classes, and the new Sarah (she's called Katrin and she's German and very nice, also looks a lot like Sarah...) came to see me this Thursday. Slightly scary, but she seemed to enjoy it so that's good! We've got two more lessons to go, approx, and then we're off England and onto more advanced topics which is exciting but little apprehensive of how that's going to go to start with. Will also put up here soon a poem which one of them wrote which I think actually shows really something.

Bises, x

No comments:

Post a Comment